by: Jonathan Hood
What’s going on everybody?
Just checking in on an off day to say hello.
First of all, thanks so much for the support of the website. The unique visitor numbers have never been higher and I appreciate you checking out the site.
* The Sam Hurd story is bananas.
He was arrested last night on federal drug charges out of Dallas, according to the Dallas Morning News. He was arrested at Morton’s Steakhouse. Court docs say he tried to possess with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of a mixture or substance containing cocaine.
The first question I have is why?
You are professional football player making millions of dollars. Why reportedly sell drugs? Based on the information that continues to come in, it was like football was his part-time job and selling drugs was his primary vocation.
The second question is…why didn’t the Bears organization know about this and should they be culpable for not being aware of his recreational habits?
Hurd has been charged and arrested. The hope is that he learns from this if found guilty and turn his life around.
There has been controversy over the all three ex-Dallas Cowboys, (Roy Williams, Marion Barber and Hurd), but none bigger than this story. This could be the biggest story involving athletes and drugs we have ever seen.
Was Sam Hurd in this movie? (New Jack City)
* Looking forward to the upcoming NBA season.
As a fan of the NBA, I look forward to the short 66 game regular season. There are many that root for the Bulls that feel that Derrick Rose and company are ready for the next level to the Finals. I wouldn’t go that far. I will continue to give the Eastern Conference Champion Miami Heat the benefit of the doubt. They have three difference makers on their roster: Lebron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.
They were a troika of stars that had very little bench depth and still competed for the NBA title in June against Dallas. Despite the Bulls depth from their bench, there isn’t anyone on the Bulls roster, other than Rose, that can take over a game offensively like James, Wade and Bosh.
The addition of Rip Hamilton is a solid pick up. Hamilton, who knows what it’s like to be an NBA champion and could help the Bulls with outside shooting and someone else for the opposition to think about as a scoring threat.
* On my show Tuesday night, I had listeners that were disappointed in me and my penchant to not openly root for the Bulls or Bears.
If anyone has spent time listening to my show, they would realize that I don’t openly root or use the word “we” when discussing Chicago teams. I always look at the teams in Chicago and compare them to the teams that have great organizational structure and perennial success.
I want “our”(Chicago) teams to succeed and I think there are teams outside of our city that know how to do that. My analysis is always based on how Chicago teams can get to the mountain top and stay there. We as fans want to see that. Anything less than being close or at a championship level is a failure.
* I saw TNA Impact Wrestling and saw Bobby Roode, TNA Champion, spit in the face of TNA President Dixie Carter..literally. WTF? I deleted the episode off of my DVR. TNA Wrestling has no idea what the hell they are doing.
* I heard Marion Barber speak to the Bears website and radio network..I wonder if he has anxiety speaking to people?
* The more I watch “American Pickers” on History Channel, the more I wouldn’t mind traveling the country for hidden gems like they do. Kinda cool.
* I really enjoy some of sports radio/tv simulcasts on television.”Felger and Mazz” on CSN Sports Net is one of the best I’ve seen.
* I found out I’m working on Christmas Day 130-330pm. “Bulls Buzz” walking you up to the Bulls vs. Lakers game on ESPN 1000am. Fred Huebner and Jarrett Payton will handle the Packers/Bears Ultimate Post Game Show duties on Sunday night starting at 9pmct.
* Thanks to my new facebook, twitter and linkedin peeps for tuning my shows and for supporting Jarrett Payton and I on the Ultimate Post Game Show and Chicago’s Gamenight.
Vote for us as http://www.jonathanhoodshow.com/?p=9131
C-U on the radio…